Monday, September 28, 2009

Saturday in Sydney

On Saturday I went to SNO Contemporary Art Projects. It was my first visit to the gallery which is housed on the first floor of an Arts and Crafts style building in the culturally diverse Sydney suburb of Marrickville.
We were planning to stay overnight in Sydney and had Pino our Maltese/Poodle cross with us and I noted with amusement that there was not another small white dog to be seen in the busy Greek and Vietnamese shopping strip.
Upstairs the gallery is comprised of a group of small, well lit and pleasingly proportioned rooms which reminded me a little of the upstairs area in Ray Hughes Gallery in Red Hill, Brisbane in the 1980’s.
It was the last day of the Emma Landridge, Shiau-Peng Chen and Cathy Blanchflower exhibition and the first time I had seen Cathy Blanchflowers work in the ‘flesh’. I have admired her work online and it was great to enjoy her palette and to see the brush marks that give vigour to her beautiful patterned works.


Oil on Canvas. 30cm x 30cm. ©2009 Cathy Blanchflower

Later in the afternoon we went to the opening of the Flower Show at Brenda May Gallery at Danks Street.
This is the second group show I have seen at the gallery and once again I was impressed by the curatorial skills of the gallery. The exhibition includes some wonderful works by Tanmaya Bingham, Nicola Moss, Ruth Howard, Fiona Fenech and Melinda Le Guay and continues until 18 October.



Works by Nicola Moss



Works by Tanmaya Bingham and Andrew Best.


After the opening we went to dinner at billy kwong, one of my favourite restaurants and I had the chance to catch up with my colleague and friend Nicola Moss and then we went off to our dog friendly hotel the Hughenden in Woollahra where little white dogs are almost de rigeur. Breakfast next morning was like a scene from a Woody Allen movie with a cast of wonderful extra and dogs on dining chairs and laps. It was a lovely weekend and we returned home to find that our chooks are back on the lay!

No comments: