Friday, April 24, 2009

Utopia

Last night as I wandered back to my studio bedroom in the cold crisp spring I thought about artists communities. I had just had dinner and sat around the fire sharing conversation with half a dozen writers and artists from different backgrounds and aged from mid 20s to mid 70s. The atmosphere was open and accepting and everyone talked freely without fear of rebuke or censure. That is not to say that ideas were not challenged.

The magic of an artists residence is not only that it gives you the opportunity to work but that it also gives you the chance to meet with others for a short period of time and share ideas. The magic is in the immersion, for a short time, in an environment of trust and safety and, before any competitiveness, bitchiness or dependencies can develop you are back home. I know that may sound cynical but for the moment I am enjoying this remarkable opportunity. Ragdale is a very special place.

No comments: