Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Damien Hirst

On the weekend some friends who had just come back from London bought the catalogue from Damien Hirst's recent auction at Sotheby's to breakfast. They had been to see the work and told me about seeing it in the flesh. I was blown away. I have always felt ambivalent about Hirst's work and finally decided if Sophie Calle (one of my favourite artists) wanted to collaborate with him he must be pretty good!

The catalogue is a tour de force but I was moved by the powerful body of work which looked at beauty, affluence, greed, addiction, mortality, human frailty, illness and more and more.......

I also heard that while Hirst is mega rich and plays with the art market he is also immensely generous and appreciative of those who work with him and support his practice.

No comments: